Hello Dear Friends and Fans! This is your own Steve Sadiq. I am here with you to share another value-added and informative article with you. Today I will discuss with you about how to Reset SMC on Mac. Have you noticed that sometimes the lights of your keyboard stop working, battery indicator behaves strangely? I have also heard from people that their fan speed suddenly increases without any additional load on the Macbook.
I have started thinking about and collecting information about such kind of complaints. Some people also complained about the power button not responding, whereas, some complaints were like they are not getting a proper response on led open and close. As many people who follow me and continuously read my articles know that I try on Mac and find out the solution myself. So I have started experimenting.
After a series of experiments, studies, and discussions at the Apple forums and with Apple support team, I have come to the conclusion that I have to reset SMC on my mac. Now the next question was how to reset SMC. Being a Mac Pro user, it was not at all difficult for me, but I realized that those who are new or not related to this field might not know this thing. Like me, they will have to spend a lot of their time to
What is SMC? Do you guys know?
- 1 What is SMC? Do you guys know?
- 2 HOW TO RESET SMC ON MAC
- 3 Mac Categories in context to resetting SMC
- 4 Resetting SMC on iMac
- 5 How to Reset SMC on Mac with non-removable battery [ Mac includes: MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, MacBook ]
- 6 Reset SMC on Mac with removable battery [ MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, MacBook ]
- 7 Concluding Thoughts
SMC stands for System Management Controller. This is basically the control center for minor operations that remain active during Mac use. Such minor operation may include controlling fan speed, certain indicators on Mac. Performance monitor. Backlit keyboard monitor etc. These functions make Mac stand out of the crowd. SMC is the control center of these.
My knowledge, discussions, and research say that if SMC is not working properly. You might face these issues. And the only solution is to reset SMC on Mac. Now the Question arises that how to reset SMC. This is very easy and you can do it in quick and easy steps.
HOW TO RESET SMC ON MAC
I have a good news for you guys. A good thing about the reset of SMC is that you don’t need to reset your entire machine. You can simply reset your SMC to factory settings. This will fix the issue. I have covered all the queries in this article which were related to the SMC reset issue. Hope you will like it.
Possible Indicators Demand SMC Reset
I am going to share with you guys some indicators which demand SMC reset. These issues will be resolved by resetting your Mac. But there are many symptoms a Mac may suffer from that a simple SMC reset can fix. The Include:
- Power button doesn’t function well.
- Display brightness function doesn’t work well.
- The keyboard backlight behaves strangely.
- Battery indicator lights, if present, behave incorrectly on Mac notebooks with a non-removable battery.
- The fans run at high speed, even though it isn’t under heavy usage.
- The status indicator light, if present, behaves incorrectly.
- The display backlight doesn’t respond correctly to ambient light changes.
- Mac performs unusually slowly.
- MacBook or MacBook Pro doesn’t charge through its built-in USB-C port.
- The Mac doesn’t respond properly to the lid opening and closing.
- Your Mac sleeps or shuts down unexpectedly and you can’t turn it back on.
- The battery doesn’t charge properly.
Mac Categories in context to resetting SMC
I have always suggested you this and I am going to repeat it.
Safety Always 1st. This is what I always do and strongly recommend.
Your data is an integral part of your life. This is one the most important asset of your life. Before performing any kind of such operations, it is strongly advised to you to take the backup of your data so that if anything goes wrong, your data remains safe.
Before resetting the SMC determine whether the battery is removable or not. That is because the process of resetting SMC for the Macs that have a non-removable battery is quite different. In addition to that also keep an eye on the open application and save your work and close all applications. Sometimes a simple reboot might solve the issue but it is better to reset your SMC on Mac once you have the issue.
I have categorized Mac in context to this issue because the method is different for each category. These are,
- Resetting SMC on iMac
- How to Reset SMC on Mac with non-removable battery [ MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, MacBook ]
- Reset SMC on Mac with removable battery [ MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, MacBook ]
Resetting SMC on iMac
If you want to reset SMC on your iMac then follow the steps given below.
- Shut down your Mac.
- Unplug the power adapter.
- Wait for 15 seconds.
- Plug in the power cord.
- Press the power button to start your Mac.
Now that you have reset the SMC on your Mac, it should be back to operating as normal.
If the SMC reset didn’t fix your problems, if you’re still having issues, you may wish to try running the Apple Store to rule out a defective component on your Mac.
How to Reset SMC on Mac with non-removable battery [ Mac includes: MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, MacBook ]
- Shut down your Mac.
- Plug in the MagSafe power adapter.
- Simultaneously press and hold the left shift, control, and option keys and at the same time press the power button for at least 10 seconds
- Release all keys at the same time.
- Press the Power Button to start your Mac
Reset SMC on Mac with removable battery [ MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, MacBook ]
- Shut down your Mac.
- Disconnect your Mac portable from its MagSafe connector.
- Remove the battery.
- Press and hold the power button for 5 seconds.
- Insert the battery.
- Reconnect the MagSafe connector.
- Turn your Mac on.
Hope you guys have found this article very informative and useful. I believe that after you follow the step by step process, you will definitely learn about how to rest SMC on your Mac. In this article, we have learned that what is SMC and how to reset SMC.
A summary of the article is that SMC stands for System Management Control. This basically controls the functions such as light on the keyboard, processor speed, lid opening and closing indications, battery indicator etc. If you are facing any of these issues, you can reset your SMC and hopefully, these issues will be resolved.
APPLE advancements always keep on changing the Mac, so I have categorized the MacBook on the basis of battery removal. With a removable battery. Mac with non-removable battery and iMac. The step by step process to reset the SMC on Mac different versions is different.
I have shared with you all the 3 step by step methods. Hope you will find it easy.
Must try these and then write to me that did you find these methods useful. Also, do give me an honest feedback about my article. In Case of any Questions, you can ask me in the comments sections.
This is Steve Sadiq signing off for today.
Here it is extremely important to mention that the issues highlighted in this article might be due to some other reasons as well. Not always it is possible that these issues are only and only due to SMC malfunction. I am trying to say that majority of the times resetting the SMC usually solves the issues.